While I still like the A3 screen prints and very much enjoyed making them, I have to agree with some of the tutors that the scale is too small to look impressive in the large space I’ve been given. This is a snapshot of how they looked on the unpainted boards; I have subsequently painted the supports white which looks much better than the natural wood. The post-it notes were used to identify which print went where on the boards: the dimensions had been worked out to the last millimetre so that the felt nails I used were in the right places for the small magnets.
I’ve therefore been testing a different approach: bombarding viewers with one single message at a far larger scale – A2 – screen printed with white text reversed out of a bright red background. This looks good and yesterday I made around 20 copies of this print on both cartridge paper and newsprint and pasted them to one wall.
This morning it was obvious that the newsprint support worked far better than the cartridge paper. The newsprint has shrunk slightly as it dried, giving the appearance of a good solid bond with the brickwork. The cartridge paper, on the other hand, had not stuck as well and had come away from the support in several places. It had no shrunk either, which meant that air bubbles and ridges were still visible. I am not aiming to achieve a perfect flat surface as I am not attempting to wallpaper a dining room, but even so I feel the imperfections are a tad too much. I have therefore spent most of today printing another 70 copies of the 67% of your concerns text on newsprint, with the intention of plastering both walls with these.
I have recruited a friend to help me with this tomorrow and we should be able to start in RO3 before 10 am.
This development has led me to question the location of the A3 screen prints which are attached to plywood boards by magnets. The neon pinks, greens and yellows I used do not sit well with the scarlet of the A2 prints -in fact, I think the colour schemes detract from each other. I am therefore going to investigate the possibility of placing the boards in a different location – perhaps in the small corridor leading to RO3 from the Linear Gallery.
The experiment with the text on the floor did not work unfortunately. The acetate looked too shiny and I think with hindsight that a better effect would have been achieved with vinyl – but that is much more expensive. I will chalk this one up to experience – this is supposed to be a learning exercise after all. Next time I will bite the financial bullet and order vinyl.
The 3 X-frames work really well. The complementary pair saying Finish the Course and Don’t Finish the Course dominate my floor area- and are suitably ambiguous. Their stark, authoritarian appearance works very well with the A2 screen prints, and the appearance of the black against the red looks semi fascist – and definitely authoritarian which I like. The effect strongly reminds me of the work of Barbara Kruger in the 1960s which I like as well.
I have also had permission to site the Breathe Responsibly – go to Room RO3 X frame between the double doors at the entrance to the Linear Gallery. This is a great location as everyone passing through the main corridor will see the sign.
I am also pleased with the 1 metre by 1.5 metres canvas banner I have had printed with Rock that Algorithm on it. The banner has been finished with tent pole pockets at both ends to give good hanging options. I have prepared two poles drilled with holes for string in case I choose to hang the banner from a support.
I am again considering where exactly to cite the banner: the other part of the MA show in the photography area is a possibility and Cate Field, one of the artists exhibiting there, is keen to have it close to her area which is good news. I will investigate this tomorrow.